Warning: Undefined variable $custom_content in /home/bikeslou/public_html/wp-content/themes/magazine-pro/functions.php on line 226
This article is going to help you find the Electric Bike Hub Motor Problems and their Solutions. Electric bikes are getting popular nowadays they are cheaper than cars, portable and manageable. That’s why many people prefer electric bicycles as a means of transportation. Like other vehicles, the electric-bike owner also faces a few problems. Electric bike hub motor problem is also one of them.
Electric bike Hub motor problems include the hub motor won’t start, or the motor making wired noises. If you have any motor problems, then you are in the right place. Because, in this guide, we will mention all potential electric bike hub motor problems and their solutions. So, if you face any problem, you can fix it easily. For battery, problems replace it by choosing the best electric be batteries of 2023.
What is Hub motor?
Before jumping into hub motor problems, let me first tell you all the information about the hub motor so you can better understand it. Usually, E-bike comes with two kinds of motors;
The Hub motor, as the name suggests, is connected to the wheel hub. Some bike has a hub motor on the front wheel, and some bike has a hub motor on the rear wheel. Hub motor electric bike, it is hard to balance due to the motor. Changing the tire of hub motorbike is a challenging task
The mid-drive motor is connected to bike pedals in the middle of the bike. Most bikers prefer mid-drive because the motor is positioned at mid providing perfect balance for a rider
The hub motor is way cheaper than mid-drive and can easily replace with a new one. Maintaining and fixing the hub motor is easy.
Electric Bike Hub Motor Problems and their Solutions
Now I will discuss the most critical problems you might face in Hub motor with their solutions.
Electric bike hub motor noise
The noise problem is a very common in-hub motor. Mostly the reason for the motor making a grinding noise is due to worn-out gears, disk brakes, loose bolts, or bearings. You can easily find the noise reason by this guide;
- You can open your hub motor to check the gears’ condition if the gears are not in good condition; then, the grinding noise is due to the gears this can be fixed by replacing old equipment with a new one.
- If the gear is in perfect condition, then you can check if there is any loose bolt because most of the time, bolts are loose, which forces the motor to make noise; this can easily be fixed by tightening the bolt.
- You can check your disk break working fine because sometimes a break is pressed even if you are not using them, which will result in noise.
- If you are still facing the noise problem, then the culprit might be a ball bearing trying some lubricant oil to reduce friction, you should regularly apply lubricant oil if not the friction will increase and you will get weird noises.
Hub motor not spinning
The main reason for hub motor not spinning is due to the controller;
The controller is the heart of the electric bike, which will provide energy to the bike from the battery. Sometimes the controller is not connected. So if the controller is not connected, the motor will not get power from the battery, and it will not start. The first check whether your controller is connected to the battery or not.
Then check if it is not connected then connect it and your motor will start moving. After checking the controller is connected and the motor is still not starting, then your controller is damaged. Try replacing the damaged controller with a new one that you can easily buy from local stores.
Electric bike motor stop spinning under load
Sometimes the motor is working fine, but stops spinning under load it happens due to a weak motor, which doesn’t have the potential to move under heavy load, or your motor gears are slipping when the load is applied.
Most of the time, people buy cheap motors that don’t produce enough power, so if you are an e-bike owner, never buy an inferior product because you will not get excellent performance.
Firstly check, do you have a good motor with huge power output?
- If not, you will have to replace it with a good brand hub motor. Getting a new motor is easy, but it will cost you a lot.
- If you have a good motor still motor stop spinning under load, then the culprit is the gear because sometimes the gear is worn out and will slip under load.
- You can easily replace your old broken gear with a new one; all you have to do is open your hub motor, remove the old gear, and replace it with a new one. If you don’t want to open it yourself, you can give it to any professional to replace it for you.
If the Bike has other problems than the hub motor and you want to replace your old be with the new one. Then you must want the best electric bike for this best selection we help you by our best electric bikes collection.
Tips for Protecting Hub Motors
It is always better to protect your hub motor from any potential harm, so you don’t get any problems in the future, so below, I will tell you a few tips to protect your motor from damage.
Use lubricant oil
Always use good lubricant oil for ball bearing; it will give you a smooth ride.
Avoid from over loading
Never put more load then it can sustain sometimes, people place so much load, which will damage the motor.
Check Loose Bolt
Always check for loose bolts; if you have a loose bolt. It can potentially damage the motor, and lastly, never cheap out on an electric bike motor. Always use a good brand motor that will give you excellent performance and will last for many years.
Buy best Motor
I know that good motors are expensive, but spending money one time on a good hub motor is a good option than spending money on a lousy motor so many times.
These are some easy tips and tricks you should keep in mind, so you don’t face any problems in the future.
I hope this guide helped you with Electric Bike Hub Motor Problems and their Solutions, so next time, you should not face any problems. Always use a good brand hub motor, and use lubricant oil on ball-bearing regularly.
The most common reason for the motor problem is the damaged controller. Because the controller is the heart of an electric bike, which sends energy from the battery to the motor. You might be interested in reading an article related to e bike Battery Problems & their Solutions.
If you found this guide helpful, please share it with your friends and family. And if you have any questions regarding electric bike motor hub problems. Feel free to ask us in the comment box, and we will try to reply you ASAP.