Notice: Undefined variable: custom_content in /home/bikeslou/public_html/wp-content/themes/magazine-pro/functions.php on line 226
A cycle is commonly used by every age of a person for different purposes. It is used for travelling and fitness, so the speed varies by age. You must thought; What is the average Cycling Speed by Age? Don’t worry, we guide you well. The Cycling speed depends on age because human powers depend on age. As age increase power-downs, we can say that age is directly proportional to power/ ability.
Average Cycling Speed by Age
Our most common issue is that we don’t know about our average cycling speed according to age. Without knowing our average speed, we cannot conclude whether we are slow riders or fast riders. With this knowledge, we can improve our riding accordingly.
So, let’s go and check your average speed;
Average Cycling Speed for Beginners
When a new rider starts cycling, the speed is improving day-by-day training. The chart of beginners is as follows;
|Riding Experience||Distance||Average Speed in mph||Miles|
|Beginner||Short Distance||10 – 12 mph||10 – 15 miles|
|6 months||Short Medium Distance||15 – 16 mph||20 – 30 miles|
|1 Year||Medium Distance||16 – 19 mph||40 miles|
|Regularly Train by Club||Medium Long Distance||20 – 24 mph||50 – 60 miles|
Note: don’t worry if your average speed is 13 – 15 mph, because many beginners never get this, if it happens then no need to worry just enjoy your ride. If the beginner is cycling on a flat surface or in a group, then his/her speed may be 25+ mph.
Average Cycling for Kids
Kids also start riding on cycles at age of 3 years. Getting the average speed of the kids is difficult because cannot ride for an hour. A child who cycles for 6 months has more experience and a better speed than those who are beginners. So, the average daily rides are recorded as;
|3- 5 Years||16 km/h|
|6-10 Years||16- 40.2 km/h|
|10- 12 Years||48.2- 64.3 km/h|
Average Cycling Speed for Alders
The average cycling speed of alders of different ages is as follows;
|Age||Average Speed in km/h||Average Speed in mph|
|18- 20 Years||27 km/h||16.7 mph|
|20- 25 Years||30 km/h||18.6 mph|
|25- 30 Years||35 km/h||21.7 mph|
|30- 35 Years||33.5 km/h||20.8 mph|
|35- 40 Years||30 km/h||18.6 mph|
|40- 45 Years||28.5 km/h||17.7 mph|
|45- 50 Years||24 km/h||15 mph|
|50- 55 Years||22 km/h||13.6 mph|
|55- 60 Years||20 km/h||12.4 mph|
|60- 65 Years||18.5 km/h||11.5 mph|
Note: The average cycling speed below 20 is not safe because the speed is too slow. The average speed between 20 – 35 mph is best and safe for riding on the road.
Average Speed of Cyclist
A professional cyclist when ride a bike on a flat surface cover a distance of 25 – 28 mph and an amateur cyclist cover a distance of 17 – 18 mph (miles per hour).
Best Fat Tire Electric Bikes under $1000
5 External Factors that Effect Cycling Speed
Following are some important factors that affect the speed of your cycling;
- Drag is the issue that causing due to air around you. While cycling you displace the air and that air causes friction force that is a drag.
- Surrounding also affects the speed of your cycling. Weather force you to slow your speed. These weathers include rain, winds and cold temperature.
- Rolling Resistance also affects the speed because it is the friction of the tire against the road. Wider tires are more rubbed with the ground and cause more resistance.
- Gravity also causes to reduce your cycling speed. The bike and your weight decide the speed of cycling because the gravitational force increase if your weight increase.
- Gears are a significant part of your bike, and that also affects speed because the heavily weighted bikes need more gravitational force that why gears take more time and reduce speed.
Solutions of External Factors that Effect Cycling Speed
Following are the solutions to important factors that affect the speed of your cycling;
- To avoid drag, you need to set your position and carry the proper kit.
- To avoid surrounding effects, try not to cycle in rain, winds and cold temperature because a speed of less than 20mph is not safe.
- To avoid rolling resistance, use the tires according to the surface. For smooth surface bumped tires are best.
- To avoid gravitational force, try to maintain yourself and your bike weight so that less force is applied and less gravitational force uses, resultantly speed increases.
- To avoid gear problems, take a light weighted bicycle so that it does not affect your cycling speed.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: What is the average speed for a 60-year-old cyclist?
A: The best average cyclic speed for a 60 years old person is between 9 to 11.5 miles per hour according to the age factor.
Q: Is 15mph fast on a bike?
A: For a beginner, 15 mph is a good average speed but for experts, it’s not a good average speed because below 20mph is not safe for them. This is a very slow speed for experts.
Q: What is good speed for beginner cyclist?
A: The average speed of beginners lies between 8 – 12 mph and covers a distance of 13 – 19 km/h
What is a respectable cycling speed?
A: The best cycling speeds are as follows;
- Beginner: The average speed is between 8 – 12 mph and covers a distance of 13 – 19 km/h
- Intermediate: The average speed is between 12 – 16 mph and covers a distance of 19 – 26 km/h
- Advance: The average speed is between 16 – 24 mph and covers a distance of 26 – 39 km/h
- Professional: The average speed is greater than 24 mph and covers a distance of more than 39 km/h
- The average Cycling of a person depends on the age. That is different for different ages as we discuss in detail that What is the average Cycling Speed by Age? by this conversation it is clear. Now you can easily ride a bike according to your average speed without any worry.
Leave a Reply